Soft, tasty and delicious: discover the recipe of spinach and Prosciutto di San Daniele bread dumplings, an idea to serve on Christmas day!
Spinach and Prosciutto bread dumplings
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 big white onion
- 200 gr boiled spinach
- 1 egg
- About 60 gr of milk
- Salt and black pepper as needed
- 150 gr stale white bread cut in small cubes
- 100 gr Prosciutto di San Daniele cut in one thick slice
- 100 gr di butter
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano as needed
- A small handful of fresh wild fennel
- To prepare the spinach and prosciutto dumplings cut the prosciutto slice in small cubes and chop the boiled spinach.
- Chop the onion finely and braise it in a pan with 50 g of butter.
- Put in a bowl the cubed stale bread, the cubed prosciutto, the flour, the braised onion, the boiled spinach, the chopped wild fennel, a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the milk and the egg and combine the ingredients until you get a firm dough. If it’s too soft add little more flour, if it’s too dry add a little more milk.
- Shape the dough into small balls of about 3 or 4 centimeters in diameter.
- Boil the dumplings in a big pot of boiling salted water and let them cook for ten minutes.
- Then take them out with a slotted spoon and put them in a heated serving dish.
- Put the rest of the butter in a small pot and heat it gently until it’s light brown.
- Serve the spinach and prosciutto dumplings with the melted butter, grated Parmigiano Reggiano and a little more chopped wild fennel, if you like it.