The crisp San Daniele crumbs and the refreshing yogurt drops make a great contrast with the silky texture of this pumpkin soup.
Enjoy it very hot with your favourite spice mix: from kebab spices to Indian masalas, from taco spices to middle-Eastern mixes such as Ras el Hanout or Berberè, or even simply with the Mediterranean aroma of herbs.
Spicy pumpkin creamed soup with crisp San Daniele
- 1 kg pumpkin
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of your favourite spices or herbs paprica, curry, turmeric, cumin, masala or Mediterranean spices or herbs
- 1 red onion
- 2 peeled garlic cloves
- 250 ml vegetable broth
- 6 slices of prosciutto di San Daniele
- 4 tablespoons of Greek yogurt or plain white yogurt
- extra virgin olive oil as needed
- salt and black pepper as needed
- Cut the pumpkin in half, peel it and remove the seeds with a spoon. Cut it in wedges.
- Put the wedges on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Add the garlic and the onion cut in small pieces, drizzle with the oil, sprinkle on salt, pepper and spices or herbs.
- Cook in a 180° oven, for 30/35 minutes (until golden-brown).
- Transfer the vegetables into a pot and add the hot broth.
- Puree with an immersion blender until you get a smooth soup, then keep it warm, on a very low flame, until serving time.
- In the meantime heat a non-stick skillet and cook the prosciutto slices in it until they are slightly browned and crisp.
- Pour the hot soup in the bowls, decorate them with the crumbled prosciutto, some drops of yogurt, a drizzle of olive oil, more spices or herbs if you like, salt and black pepper.
The prosciutto must be very crunchy. If you choose to crisp it beforehand, crumble and store it in a dry and not too cold place, on a piece of kitchen paper.