If you are brunch lovers you can’t miss the recipe we suggest today!
Eggs Benedict are a tasty and nutritious dish, made of simple and natural ingredients. The addition of crispy Prosciutto di San Daniele gives the finished dish a not-to-be-missed texture and flavor.
Follow all the steps, watch the video recipe and start programming your next Sunday brunch!
Eggs Benedict with Prosciutto di San Daniele
- 2 eggs
- 4 slices of prosciutto di San Daniele
- 2 bread slices
- Salt and white pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- white vinegar
Ingredients for the Hollandaise sauce :
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 150 gr clarified melted butter
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Salt and white pepper
How to make Hollandaise sauce:
- To prepare the Hollandaise sauce that is going with our eggs Benedict, set a bowl on a pot of gently boiling water (a bain-marie) and pour in it the three egg yolks and the tablespoon of water, whip them by hand with a wire whisk for a while or until they are doubled up in volume and foamy, this will take a few minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the bain-marie and place it on your working surface. Pour the melted butter gradually in the bowl (the temperature shouldn’t reach more than 40°C) and incorporate it well. At this stage add the lemon juice, continue mixing with the wire whisk and add salt and pepper.
- Set the sauce aside.
How to cook prosciutto and bread:
- Pour a little olive oil in a skillet and warm it up. Add the prosciutto di San Daniele slices and cook them on both sides for a few minutes or until crispy.
- Set the crispy prosciutto slices aside and in the same skillet toast the bread slices, turning them on both sides to toast evenly.
Assembly of eggs Benedict
- The last and most delicate step is the making of the poached eggs.
- Fill a large saucepan with several inches of water and heat it until it reaches a boil, then lower it down until the water is a bare simmer. Add two tablespoons of vinegar to the water. Crack the eggs in two separate small cups or bowls. With a whisk or a long spoon create a vortex in the water and, working with one egg at a time, pour the egg in the middle of the vortex. This will help the egg to keep a round shape. Let the egg cook for two minutes or until the egg white is white and solidified, then remove it from the water with a slotted spoon and lay it on some kitchen paper. Repeat the procedure with the other egg. The egg yolk inside should remain runny.
- To serve eggs Benedict put on each plate a slice of toasted bread, layer on it two slices of crispy prosciutto di San Daniele and a poached egg. Pour some Hollandaise sauce on the egg, add on top some freshly snipped chives and pepper.